R200 discount for liking us on FB
Cape Town - Delisting NGOs would have disastrous consequences for vulnerable communities in the Western Cape, Social Development MEC Albert Fritz said on Tuesday.
Responding to reports that across the country about 60 000 NGOs and non-profit organisations (NPOs) had been deregistered by the Social Development Department, Fritz said the deregistration could put service delivery in crisis.
Fritz said he had instructed the province’s Institutional Capacity Building office to engage with affected NGOs to assist them to re-register as soon as possible.
“Over the next two weeks our department will be in touch with the chairpersons/directors of these organisations to offer assistance.”
He said any organisation that had been de-registered and had not heard from the Department of Social Development within the next two weeks should contact the nearest local or regional office of the department.
“They should also check their registration status online if they are unsure. We want to ensure that no one is overlooked in the process of re-registration.”
Fritz could not say how many NGOs in the Western Cape were affected.