Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Eastern Cape -
The ANC's Eastern Cape provincial executive committee (PEC) will propose that the OR Tambo region resume its regional conference later this month, an official said on Wednesday.
“The PEC will propose that 24 to 26 August be the next date,” provincial spokesman Mlibo Qoboshiyane said.
“The proposal will be made on Thursday and a report given to the provincial working committee of the ANC.”
ANC leaders in the Eastern Cape took control of the OR Tambo region earlier this month after its regional conference was adjourned without any newly elected leadership.
The conference was dogged by controversy after allegations emerged that some of the membership figures were inflated, and that there were several “ghost” delegates.
The electoral commission at the conference discovered that votes were cast by 591 delegates, instead of the 587 adopted by the plenary.
The PEC adjourned the conference afterwards.
Qoboshiyane said: “When resumed, the conference will continue with the business of the adjourned conference.”
Both ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe and Qoboshiyane made it clear on the Wednesday that the decision to resume the conference was not taken by the ANC's top six officials at Luthuli House.
Mantashe said the decision was taken by the PEC, which was now in control of the region.
Qoboshiyane said a false SMS was circulated “misrepresented” the decision taken by officials.
Business Day on Wednesday reported that top ANC leaders had ordered that the OR Tambo regional elective conference be resumed.
According to the report regional leaders went to Luthuli House on Tuesday to complain to the top six officials.
The officials reportedly decided the conference had to resume to allow for the results of the botched conference to be announced.
Qoboshiyane said: “We rebuke the SMS circulated to ANC members and some journalists... that the ANC top six officials took a decision contrary to that of the PEC regarding the status of the adjourned regional conference.”
He said the ANC knew who had sent the SMS and would take disciplinary action against the person.
“... (This) skirts along the lines of bringing the ANC into disrepute, as it is contrary the ANC constitution.” - Sapa