Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Polokwane - The intervention team sent to Limpopo to manage a number of provincial departments was unsure when it would be leaving the province, its head Monde Tom said on Thursday.
Tom, speaking to reporters in Polokwane, said he could not give exact dates as to when the team would leave Limpopo, as the decision was Cabinet's to make.
“This is a determination by Cabinet, and no one else has that prerogative, but you will remember that the last time the Cabinet met, they actually said the intervention would be extended until June when it would be reviewed,” he said.
The end of June target had now been pushed back.
In December 2011 the Treasury took over the administration of the departments of health, education, roads and transport, public works, and the treasury.
This came after the province asked for a R1.77 billion overdraft from the National Treasury.
Tom said the inter-ministerial committee had already met and it would brief Cabinet on its decision over the fate of the province.
“When the call has been made, you will actually know,” he said.
The problems within the province's governance were blamed on provincial executives deciding that multiple payments per month could be made to service providers.
He and his team now believed progress had been made in addressing the rot that had been eating away at taxpayers' money since they were sent to the province.
Head administrator for education Mzwandile Matthews said reports that the education department had not been paying service providers was correct, since the department wanted to ensure it was receiving what it had paid for before issuing payments.