Cape Town - The ANC has threatened to take the DA “to the cleaners” for refusing to apologise for claiming it had bribed former DA mayoral committee member Grant Pascoe with R1 million in cash and a car to cross over to the ANC.

DA leader Helen Zille made the bribery claim last week.

ANC provincial secretary Songezo Mjongile said the DA clearly had a big legal budget, because it was involved in a number of litigations.

“We will take them to the cleaners on this one,” he said.

Pascoe left the DA and his job as Cape Town City Council’s mayoral committee member for tourism, events and marketing to join the ANC.

The ANC subsequently sent a letter to the DA demanding a public apology in the Cape Times and the Cape Argus by Tuesday and the retraction of Zille’s statement.

Zille alleged the ANC had approached several people in the DA in the Western Cape.

“One of them, who was approached by (ANC provincial chairman) Marius Fransman, told me this afternoon that he was offered a job at R880 000 per year with R200 000 ‘up front’ to cross to the ANC,” she said.

Fransman said Zille’s allegations were blatant lies and were libellous.

Lawyer Graeme Veldsman, acting for the ANC, said the statements by the DA were false and it had no proof.

“We believe that these statements can indirectly play a role in influencing voters in making a decision for who they intend to vote on the day of the elections,” said Veldsman.

 

The ANC is considering court action.

DA federal executive James Selfe welcomed a court challenge.

He said the DA refused to adhere to the ANC’s demand for an apology and retraction.

[email protected]

Cape Times