Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Cape Town - Reports of cyber hacking and the leaking of candidate lists have confirmed the fierce rivalry between parties in the Western Cape in the run-up to the elections on May 7.
Last week, DA Transport MEC Robin Carlisle said informants had given him the names of nine candidates in the top 14 on the ANC’s provincial list.
“I was further advised that of the remaining 11 ANC members currently in the legislature, eight were considered to be unelectable, two were being redeployed to Parliament and one was retiring,” he said.
Carlisle’s statement enraged senior ANC members, and provincial chairman Marius Fransman said the list was wrong. “It’s total hogwash, there is no such list.”
Last week the Western Cape ANC’s Twitter account was hacked, forcing the party to change its password.
Fransman said: “We’ve seen the hacking taking place. I can’t say it’s the DA but what we can say is that we are picking up a kind of desperation from the DA in the Western Cape.”
Provincial DA leader Ivan Meyer denied spying on the ANC, saying there was open resistance in the legislature towards Fransman.
“The DA is freely getting inside information… ANC members are calling us with information, even MPs in the National Assembly,” he said.