Probe ANC’s donation request: FF PlusComment on this story
Johannesburg - The Public Service Commission must investigate reports that the ANC has asked senior civil servants help fund the party, the FF Plus said on Monday.
“The (party) will be submitting a complaint to the Public Service Commission in terms of the ethical code of the public service which requires that officials must be able to act independently and unbiased,” Freedom Front Plus MP Anton Alberts said in a statement.
“The message which is carried out with this action is that they have to serve the ANC.”
The PSC on Monday said it was not a matter for the commission.
“Your enquiry should be directed to the department of public service and administration as an employer and policy making department,” spokesman Humphrey Ramafoko said in an email response to Sapa about the report.
According to the Sunday Times, the ANC asked public servants to agree to have monthly deductions made from their bank accounts.
The request was reportedly contained in a letter seen by the newspaper.
Several government officials reportedly confirmed they had been asked to keep the ANC afloat.
Directors-general, who were the administrative heads of government departments, were expected to contribute R3700 a month.
ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe was unrepentant about seeking the donations.
“We are raising funds from our members. Do you want the ANC to have no money? If we raise money from companies, you say why is the ANC raising money from companies,” Mantashe was quoted as saying.
Alberts said this would dilute the difference between the public service and ANC.
“It is nothing other than subtle blackmail and we will be asking the commission to make a finding about this matter as soon as possible,” he said.