Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
By Noloyiso Mtembu
No decision has been made about the future of the JG Strijdom bust which collapsed into an underground parking garage in Pretoria on Republic Day last year.
The statue, which crashed into a 10m chasm, taking with it the roof top of the garage, was transported to "a place of safety" on Tuesday to prevent theft and damage.
The State Theatre's technical director, Gert Viljoen, said no decision had been made about the remaining five pieces of the statue.
It had been erected by the then provincial department of public works, but the spokesperson for the present department, Priscilla Pietersen, said the matter would be discussed by the provincial executive and then a statement will be issued to the public.
The remains of the bust are to be kept at the Voortrekker Monument.
Cecilia Kruger, spokesperson for the monument, said the bust needed to be repaired first before a decision could be made. She said it could not be established whether the bust would be re-erected or sold, but "the Strijdom House in Nylstroom, with which the statue is linked, might want to keep it for its exhibitions".