Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
The ANC in Limpopo and Western Cape will be allowed to hold their provincial nomination conferences again on Wednesday, ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe said in Johannesburg on Tuesday.
The provinces' conferences collapsed amid disruptions at the weekend.
“The (National Executive Committee (NEC)) decided that both of these conferences will be held on Wednesday...,” said Mantashe.
If they fail to hold successful conferences they would forfeit their right to nominate candidates in that way, and will have to nominate candidates from the floor at the African National Congress's 53rd national conference in Mangaung later this month.
Six NEC members would be sent to the Western Cape and six to Limpopo to facilitate the conference reruns.
The NEC would also attend the nomination conferences so they could readily confirm nominations.
Branches which had problems had also been directed to rerun their branch general meetings (BGMs) and had until Friday to do so. This applied only to branches which had been directed to rerun.
“So we are not having an open season for BGMs... only those BGMs that have been directed to rerun,” said Mantashe.
At the weekend conferences, party members were meant to select candidates to stand for leadership posts at the ANC's elective conference in Mangaung.
Mantashe said the North West's nominations were considered finalised.
He condemned an attack on North West provincial secretary Kabelo Mataboge and hoped the police would bring the culprits to book.
These were part of resolutions taken at a special NEC meeting in Tshwane on Monday.
Mantashe said the ANC was “more than ready” for Mangaung. - Sapa