The death toll on South African roads has reached 1200, the Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) said on Monday afternoon.
Spokesman Ashref Ismail said 1207 people were killed in 1006 accidents since the beginning of December.
“No major fatal crashes have been reported in the last 96 hours,” he said.
“No provincial or road user breakdown data are available at this stage. Analysis, comparisons and conclusions will be a made at the end of the campaign when the schools re-open.”
The North West province recorded over 60 deaths since the beginning of December, the public safety department said.
Spokesman Lesolang Simon Mmope said four people died on Sunday, bringing the provincial toll to 62.
“The death toll stands at over 60. Stations reported only four fatalities this morning.”
He said roadblocks would be conducted on major entry and exit routes in the province from Monday.
“The focus will be on speeding, reckless driving and drunken driving,” Mmope said.
In Johannesburg there had been no accidents in the past 48 hours, the city metro police said.
There was a high visibility of traffic officers, who were focusing on drunken driving and excessive speed, said Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar. - Sapa