Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Johannesburg - The Gauteng Gambling Board and Montecasino will investigate allegations that the casino confiscated a banned gambler's winnings after he hit a jackpot, Tsogo Sun reported on Monday.
“The matter is currently still under investigation by Montecasino and the Gauteng Gambling Board. We are therefore unfortunately not in a position to comment until the Gauteng Gambling Board has resolved the matter,” spokeswoman Priya Naidoo said.
According to a report in the Sunday Times, businessman Mahesh Kalidas, 53, voluntarily had himself banned from all casinos in the country last year, but continued to gamble.
He claimed that Montecasino allowed him to withdraw money, and to spend nearly R40 000 on slot machines, but confiscated his R129 000 winnings when he hit the jackpot on October 31, 2012.
He was also charged with trespassing.
Naidoo said Kalidas reported the incident to the Gauteng Gambling Board, which then asked Montecasino to provide an investigation report.
According to the newspaper report, Kalidas was arrested and paid an admission-of-guilt fine at the Douglasdale police station.
Kalidas said he wanted a refund of the R200 000 he had spent in the casino in February and October last year.
“Casinos are happy to allow banned gamblers back to lose, but the moment they win they are charged with trespassing and thrown out,” he told the newspaper.
Kalidas said he had continued gambling after he agreed to be banned because he had “lost control”. - Sapa