KES lightning victims sedated: doctorComment on this story
Johannesburg - Two King Edward VII School boys were sedated and still in intensive care at Netcare Milpark Hospital on Wednesday after being struck by lightning, doctors said.
Dr Jon Opolot said their conditions were stable. While he would not disclose the nature of their injuries, he said it was unlikely they would need to undergo surgery.
A third boy, who was removed from the intensive care unit earlier in the day, was fully conscious and would probably be discharged on Thursday.
Nine boys were injured in the incident. Six have since been discharged. All of them were members of the school's first cricket team.
Gauteng education spokesman Charles Phahlane said the boys, who were aged between 16 and 18, were pulling the covers over a cricket pitch when they were struck.
During a visit to the three boys still in hospital, Gauteng education MEC Barbara Creecy told reporters a departmental probe into the matter would be concluded within a month.
“We came to express solidarity with the parents and the learners, especially those who are still hospitalised,” she said.
Creecy said the pupils' parents were shocked. “They are upset to see their kids in that condition.”
The school's principal David Lovatt said the pupils were disturbed and distressed at what had happened.
“Many young boys witnessed something horrific yesterday,” he said.
Netcare psychologists had been to the school to offer counselling.
The six boys who had been discharged from hospital were still there on Wednesday, but did not speak to reporters. - Sapa