Johannesburg - A search for three children who went missing earlier this week in Mamelodi East, Pretoria, will resume on Thursday, police said.

“We have called off the search for today. We will continue tomorrow again,” Captain Johanes Maheso said on Wednesday.

Neo Setlhabane, 10, Gomolemo Mangena, 10, and Bonolo Malemela, 9, were reported missing on Monday evening.

“They were last seen on Monday after school. They got home, changed into home clothes, and went to play,” Maheso said.

“The children were playing near a church in the area. There is a stormwater drainage pipe which runs up to a river.”

Maheso said the river was about a kilometre away from the church.

Nothing was found in the pipe in which police suspected the children may have become stuck.

Police, search and rescue teams, and others have been searching for them since Monday.

Maheso said the search teams would go into the Moretele river on condition that the water had subsided.

“It is currently full.”

Sapa