Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Johannesburg - Thunderstorms were expected in most of Gauteng province on Friday, the SA Weather Service said.
“There is a 60 percent chance of rain and we expect around five millimetres of rainfall,” said forecaster Bransdy Bulo.
He said the Highveld areas would be mostly affected.
Spokesman for Emergency Management Services (EMS) in Johannesburg, Robert Mulaudzi, said they were on standby.
“We have all our emergency workers and fire stations on high alert,” said Mulaudzi.
They would be on the look-out for the next few days as the rain was expected to continue into the weekend.
“At the moment, we haven't received any major reports... Earlier on, we had heard about the New Canada bridge being flooded in Soweto, but that has since been cleared.”
Mulaudzi said motorists should be cautious and avoid flooded roads and bridges.
“We usually have emergency personnel who re-direct motorists off the flooded roads... They should adhere to their instructions,” he said.
On Thursday, the East Rand area was hard hit by thunderstorms with several incidents reported.
One man was killed when he was struck by lightning as he stood under a tree in Nigel.
Spokesman for Ekurhuleni emergency services William Ntladi said the man was certified dead on the scene.
A house in Brentwood Park, Benoni, also caught fire after it was struck by lightning.
“The fire was extinguished, resulting in minimum damage to the structure,” said Ntladi.
In another incident, a man was injured by hail stones while walking on Great-North Road in Benoni.
He was hospitalised and is in a stable condition.