Durban - The embattled former KwaZulu-Natal health boss, Dr Sibongile Zungu, said on Wednesday that if she wanted to, she could still apply for her post advertised at the weekend after the expiry of her contract.
Her detractors implored the provincial government not to take her back, with some calling for a criminal investigation to be instituted against her.
“I have a right to apply for the post. The exit letter I received after the expiry of my contract does not prohibit me from applying,” she said. “But for now, I haven’t decided.”
Zungu, whose five-year contract as head of the KZN Department of Health expired last month, was lambasted from all fronts in June after it was revealed that she had racked up a R310 000 cellphone and data bill while abroad in April last year.
The Daily News had reported that the National Education Health and Allied Workers Union (Nehawu) had threatened to march to premier Senzo Mchunu’s office last month, and had warned of a month of protest action if Zungu’s contract was renewed.
The union had also written to Health MEC Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo, demanding Zungu be investigated for maladministration, corruption and wasteful expenditure.
The DA said the “right person” should get the job.
“Most importantly we need someone who can provide the professional leadership and direction to the MEC for health which has been severely lacking,” MPL Imran Keeka said on Wednesday.
“We would hope that this advertisement does not signal a determination on the part of the ANC to deploy yet another cadre to this critical post.”
Premier Senzo Mchunu’s spokesman, Ndabezinhle Sibiya, said the head of department post had been advertised in terms of the Public Service Act.
Yesterday, Nehawu’s provincial secretary Phakama Ndunakazi said they were looking forward to the appointment of a department head with a vision to take the institution forward.
“We shall however push for the corruption investigations to be instituted against Dr Zungu,” Ndunakazi said.