Nkandla was over budget, says Nxesi

Comment on this story


nkandla nov 2

INLSA

President Jacob Zuma's private residence in Nkandla. File Photo: Bongiwe Mchunu

 

Johannesburg - Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi has admitted that the security upgrade of President Jacob Zuma's home in Nkandla, KwaZulu-Natal, has gone over budget, the City Press reported on Sunday.

“It is clear in this case that people went over the budget,” Nxesi reportedly told Kaya FM host John Perlman on Thursday.

He reportedly said an internal public works investigation into the upgrade would be concluded next week, and that the findings would be made public.

Nxesi told Perlman it was “very clear” the prices charged for the upgrade were “questionable”. He blamed the building industry, and said it was “likely you will be exploited”.

He said the public had the right to be upset about the cost of the upgrade - reportedly about R250 million - but should give his department a chance to investigate.

Zuma told Parliament last month the government was paying to upgrade the security at his home, but that he had taken out a bond to pay for the rest of the upgrade. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory