SA MH17 victim’s family stop bank cardsComment on this story
Durban - The family of a Durban man who died in the Malaysian Airlines plane crash has cancelled his credit cards after being warned by Ukrainian authorities that credit card fraud is rife there.
Cameron Dalziel’s brother-in-law, Shane Hattingh, told the Daily News on Thursday morning that Ukrainian authorities had warned them to cancel Dalziel’s credit cards as a precautionary measure to prevent them from being defrauded.
He denied reports quoting family members saying that the credit card had been used and that was why the cards were cancelled.
“We have not seen any suspicious activity ourselves and we will be investigating, but for now we cannot say if Cameron’s card was used or not.”
Cameron’s brother, Campbell, based in uMhlanga, confirmed this and said that the pilot’s wife, Reine, had been in touch with them from Malaysia regarding the development.
“Look I can’t tell you where it was used or even if it was used. We need to make enquiries with the bank before we know for sure.”
He said that, for the moment, it was all speculation.
“This is no time to be playing blame games.”
Hattingh said that the primary focus of the family now was on getting Cameron’s remains home so that the grieving process could begin.
“This is a huge loss to us and everyone who knew him. At least his remains are now being treated with the respect and dignity they deserve.”
Two days ago, Andrei Lysenko, spokesman for Ukraine’s National Security and Defence Council, claimed: “The cynicism of these gangsters has no limits.
“According to our information, apart from picking up valuable personal belongings of the passengers, terrorists are using credit cards of the victims.”
The claims, made in Holland’s De Telegraaf, add fuel to reports that crucial evidence has been tampered with after the Malaysian Airlines flight was blown out of the sky, allegedly by the same group of separatists, killing 298 people.
UK intelligence chiefs claim they have uncovered evidence the insurgents also discussed removing bodies from the area and sending the black box data recorders to Moscow, according to Sky News sources in Whitehall.
Alistair Bunkall, Sky’s Defence Correspondent, said: “I think this will play into the fears that many people have that not all of the bodies will be returned, that parts of the plane have been tampered with in order to try and hide any evidence.”
Meanwhile, an alleged decree by rebel commander, Igor Strelkov, appears to admit that the bodies of dead passengers were looted by pro-Russian rebels.
The order says that jewellery, watches and other valuables taken from bodies must be handed in to the “defence fund” of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic by 8pm on Wednesday, July 23.
Styled like other orders from Strelkov, its veracity could not be immediately established.
But if true, it will be seen as scandalous that the rebels are cashing in on the dead victims of the Malaysian plane widely believed to have been shot down by the same pro-Moscow separatists.
Rather than ordering any looted possessions to be returned to the families, it demands they are taken to Strelkov’s headquarters so they can be used to fund the insurgency campaign.
“Valuable items must be sent to the DPR Defence Fund”.
The text of order number 432 says in Russian: “To all detachments of Donetsk People’s Republic army, to soldiers and commanders who from 18 to 21 July 2014 in the area where the Boeing 777 of Malaysian airlines crashed and who possess personal belongings related to this airplane.
“Before 8pm on 23 July 2014 you must give these things away to the headquarters of DPR army. Valuable items (watches, earrings, lockets and other jewellery) must be sent to the DPR Defence Fund.”
Daily News and Daily Mail