The Limpopo provincial government has declared the cholera-hit Vhembe area a disaster area, the office of the Premier said on Wednesday.
Spokesman Mogale Nchabeleng said the Limpopo Executive Council took the decision at the Peter Mokaba stadium after the Department of Health and Social Development presented a report on how provincial government was responding to the challenge.
"The report indicated that with the massive influx of Zimbabwean nationals, most people are infected with cholera bacteria. To date, no less than 664 people have been treated with cholera and practitioners are gradually finding it difficult to cope with the numbers," Nchabeleng said.
Out of eight people who had already died of cholera, six were Zimbabwean Nationals while two were South Africans.
"The report also indicated that although the situation has been under control, more resources, human and capital, are required if we are to make the necessary impact in our fight against this monster that continues afflict humanity in this northern part of the province," he said. - Sapa