Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Johannesburg - A miner who was injured on August 16 last year is expected to testify in the Farlam Commission of Inquiry on Wednesday.
On Friday, Dali Mpofu, representing the injured and arrested miners, indicated that he intended calling a miner from Lonmin Platinum mine who had testified last week to the stand again.
The commission is probing the deaths of 44 people during an unprotected strike at Lonmin Platinum's mine in Marikana last year.
On August 16, 34 striking mineworkers were shot dead and 78 were injured when police opened fire while trying to disperse a group which had gathered on a hill near the mine.
Ten people, including two police officers and two security guards, were killed near the mine in the preceding week.
A miner who was shot, assaulted and left for dead on August 11 testified on Thursday and Friday.
Vusimuzi Mandla Mabuyakhulu told the commission on Friday that 3 000 Amcu members had no violent intentions when they went to the offices of the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) on August 11.
He said they went to discuss why NUM told Lonmin management not to speak to striking workers.
Rock drill operators from the mine went on strike in August, demanding a monthly wage of R12 500.
Mabuyakhulu told the commission on Thursday that the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) was not a recognised union, so the workers had to negotiate for themselves. - Sapa