Children perish in shack fire

Comment on this story

Johannesburg - Three children were burnt beyond recognition in a shack fire in Wolmaranstad on Sunday, North West police said.

Captain Tselane Nkala said it was suspected that a stove was the cause of the fire.

He said the mother locked the children inside the shack when she went out to fetch water. She left a paraffin stove on.

Her two daughters - aged three and six - as well as a nine-year-old, who was visiting the family, died in the fire.

“According to the information received, the mother locked the door when she left to fetch water... It was the neighbours that saw the shack burning and went to try and save the little children who were locked inside, but all attempts failed. The three children burnt beyond recognition.”

The 41-year-old mother arrived later and found the three children were already dead.

“The mother was taken to hospital for shock. She was later taken to the police station for questioning.

A case of arson has been opened. - Sapa

sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines