Biggest Fashion Sale Of The Year! Shop 12 000 Up To 70% OFF!
Cape Town - It will take another week or two before the cause of the charter boat accident in Hout Bay is revealed, Western Cape tourism MEC Alan Winde said on Tuesday.
“The final report on the cause of the accident will be revealed once the boat has been taken out of the water and the investigating officers have inspected the boat,” he told reporters in Cape Town.
“According to the SA Maritime Safety Authority (Samsa) the boat had a valid legal safety certificate and was certified to carry 42
passengers and three crew.”
The Miroshga, carrying 39 people, capsized near Duiker Island on Saturday afternoon. British tourist Peter Hyett, 64, and crew member John Roberts, 37, drowned.
Three women were rescued from inside the overturned hull and hospitalised with severe hypothermia. Two had since been discharged.
Winde praised all those involved in the rescue for “alleviating what could have been a major disaster at the start of the tourism season”.
According to Cape Town disaster risk management head Wilfred Solomons-Johannes, more than 60 percent of those on board had been international visitors.
National Sea Rescue Institute spokesman Craig Lambinon praised the quick response of various parties.
“Shortly into the start of the operation, a sense of calm descended over the area because everyone knew that an A-Team were on the scene and doing what they do best,” he said.
The NSRI's Brad Geyser, who commanded the joint operation, said it was “a long two days”, but he would “go to war any day” with those who had responded to the call. - Sapa