The affordable education loan option
Cape Town - The SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) is not in a position to start work on the N1-N2 Winelands toll highway project in April, it said on Friday.
“Statements in this regard are mischievous and intended to influence public opinion in a particular direction,” said spokesman Vusi Mona.
“Sanral has never said it intends to start with the project or to conclude the concession contract on 20 April 2013.”
Mona was responding to a statement by the City of Cape Town on Wednesday that Sanral intended resuming the N1-N2 Winelands toll highway project.
Mayoral committee member for transport Brett Herron said the city received notification from Sanral on March 6, and undertook to provide the city with 45 days' notice of its intention to start working on the toll project.
“This means that Sanral could commence work on the project by 20 April 2013, without first resolving the city's concerns,” said Herron.
He said a review application about the planned tolling was before the Western Cape High Court and was yet to be decided.
Mona said negotiations of contracts was a time-consuming and lengthy process.
“Only after the appointment of a concessionaire, and once funding has been secured, can the necessary works under the project be carried out.”
There had been exchanges between Sanral and the city about a possible meeting.
Mona said: “It is untrue that Sanral is not willing to engage the city... however, we have noted the city's threatened action to interdict Sanral on the project.”
Although Sanral respects the city's right to approach the court where it feels aggrieved, Sanral will also exercise its constitutional right in this respect, he said. - Sapa