In this photograph released by the state-run Kuwait News Agency, Kuwait’s ruler Sheikh Sabah Al Sabah, center right, looks at a letter from Qatar’s ruler given to him by Qatari Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, center left, Monday, July 3, 2017. The Arab nations earlier on Monday extended a deadline for Qatar to meet their demands to end the dispute by 48 hours. (KUNA via AP)

Cairo - Foreign ministers from the four Arab states leading the boycott of Qatar expressed disappointment on Wednesday with the tiny Gulf nation's "negative" response to their demands, but did not announce new sanctions against Doha.

"The response the four states got was overall negative and lacked any content. We find it did not provide a basis for Qatar to retreat from its policies," Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said reading out a joint statement.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, and Bahrain have cut diplomatic and transport ties with Qatar, which they accuse of supporting terrorism and allying with regional foe Iran. Doha denies the charges.

Foreign ministers of the four states met in Cairo on Wednesday to discuss the situation after a deadline they gave Qatar to meet 13 demands expired.

"The political and economic boycott will continue until Qatar changes its policies for the better," Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said at a news conference.