Brussels, Belgium - Belgium warned tourists Friday against going to the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh after a “serious threat.”
Foreign Minister Didier Reynders gave no details of the threat but the warning follows a bomb attack on a bus that killed three South Korean tourists in south Sinai earlier this month which was claimed by an Al-Qaeda-inspired group.
The standard travel advice had been changed after consultations with neighbours Germany and the Netherlands, Reynders said.
Brussels had previously warned tourists against going to the Gulf of Aqaba. Friday's warning therefore encompasses the entire Sinai region, the foreign minister said.
In the Sinai bus attack, the Ansar Beit al-Maqdis group said it was “part of our economic war against this regime of traitors” in Egypt.
Since the military's ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in July, it had focused its previous attacks on security forces.
The Sinai and its coastline are popular with Western tourists and the area has largely avoided the violence rocking Egypt since a popular uprising toppled strongman Hosni Mubarak in 2011.