Guam man found guilty of murder

Comment on this story
iol pic wld Guam Crash Stabbing AP Defendant Chad Ryan DeSoto, right, listens to Judge Anita Sukola read off a list of guilty verdicts as he stands next to his public defender Jocelyn Roden at the conclusion of his trial at the Superior Court of Guam in Hagatna. Picture: The Pacific Daily, Rick Cruz

Hagatna -

A jury convicted a Guam man on Monday of murdering three Japanese tourists in a crash and stabbing rampage last year that hurt 11 others.

The panel of 10 women and two men rejected the mental illness defence of 22-year-old Chad Ryan DeSoto. His lawyers argued he spiralled out of control into psychosis after his grandfather died and his girlfriend moved to Utah.

The jury agreed with prosecutors who say DeSoto knew what he was doing during the attack in a busy tourist spot on February 12, 2013. DeSoto was accused of barrelling his car down a busy sidewalk, crashing it into a convenience store and getting out and stabbing people who were nearby.

DeSoto was also convicted of attempted murder. He faces life in prison without the possibility of parole when he is sentenced September 25.

“Justice has been done for the families of the victims,” Chief Prosecutor Phillip Tydingco said. “I want to thank all the jurors for doing their duty and for the hard work. I know it was long and gruelling for them.”

DeSoto, dressed in a white Oxford shirt with a gray sweater-vest and gray slacks, showed no emotion as the verdict was read. Each individual juror verified his or her decision in a hearing that lasted 10 minutes.

“I am just thankful the jurors hung in there and made it through deliberation,” said DeSoto's lawyer, public defender Jocelyn Roden. “I still have my faith in the justice system.”

Guam's attorney general planned a news conference for later on Monday.

The rampage rocked the small island US territory and raised questions of tourist safety in Japan and elsewhere. Guam's economy depends heavily on tourism.

The tourists killed were 81-year-old Kazuko Uehara and 29-year-old Rie Sugiyama, who were stabbed to death; and Hitoshi Yokota, 51, who was hit by a car and died in a hospital two days later. Another 11 people were injured, including two children.

Prosecutors argued DeSoto planned the attack, targeting victims who resembled or symbolised his girlfriend, who had recently dumped him.

The jury received voluminous instructions before starting deliberations July 18, with jury instructions that took nearly five hours for Judge Anita Sukola to read and more than 100 pages of verdict sheets. The instructions included information on convicting DeSoto of lesser offenses.

Sukola said that during the September 25 sentencing, she will set a future hearing for accusations that DeSoto, his girlfriend and one of his relatives violated a court order by communicating during the trial. - Sapa-AP


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.