Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv
Washington - The International Monetary Fund and World Bank said on Monday they would not hold their annual meetings, which were to be held in Washington on September 29-30.
The decision, coming almost a week after terror strikes in New York and Washington, followed IMF and World Bank board meetings on Monday.
"In consultation with the US authorities and other member governments, the World Bank Group and the IMF have decided not to hold their Annual Meetings on Septmber 29-30," World Bank President James Wolfensohn said in a statement.
"The normal business of the Bank and the Fund will not be interrupted. Alternative arrangements for conducting the required business of the meetings will be determined."
After last week's attacks, it became apparent that the IMF/World Bank meetings could not proceed because of security concerns about the meetings, which attract finance ministers and heads of state from around the world. - Reuters