Maduro blames saboteurs for blackout

Comment on this story


iol pic wld VENEZUELA-BLACKOUT-_1203_11

Reuters

People walk on a street during a blackout in Caracas. A power outage plunged the Venezuelan capital and other cities around the nation into darkness on December 2, residents said. Picture: Carlos Garcia Rawlins

Caracas - President Nicolas Maduro said on Tuesday that saboteurs used a gun to bring down a power cable and plunge more than half of Venezuela into darkness earlier this month.

As well as causing chaos on the streets, the December 2 blackout sparked an immediate blame game. The government accused right-wing foes of an attack, while opponents said the outage was due to incompetent management of the electric grid.

“They attacked a transmission line,” Maduro said in a speech to a regional summit in Caracas, attended by several heads of state. “The sabotage has been proven. With a gun shot, they split a key line and left the country in the dark.”

Since winning a vote to replace late leader Hugo Chavez, the 51-year-old former bus driver has made a plethora of accusations against his foes, ranging from economic sabotage to death plots against him and Socialist Party No 2 Diosdado Cabello.

Critics, including opposition leader Henrique Capriles, have mocked those as lies designed to distract Venezuelans from day-to-day problems like stuttering public services.

Maduro's intelligence chief, Miguel Rodriguez, also had suggested that a gunman brought down the 765-megawatt electricity cable in the Venezuelan savannah that connects about two-thirds of the nation to the country's largest dam.

It was the second such outage there in three months.

“A good marksman can hit a three-centimetre cable from 50m. It's very easy,” said Rodriguez, who is also interior minister and is helping lead the investigation into the power cut. “It was a clean cut.”

Venezuela, an Opec nation with the world's biggest oil reserves and a population of 29 million, has been suffering periodic electricity cuts since 2009, especially outside the capital Caracas.

Maduro blames sabotage and wasteful use of electricity by Venezuelans but critics say the power failures are symptomatic of lack of investment and mismanagement within state power company Corpoelec since Chavez's 2007 takeover of the sector.

Venezuela has a maximum generation capacity of about 28 000 megawatts and normal demand of about 18 000. - Reuters


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory