Man pays high price for petrol mistake

Comment on this story

Havelock - Police say a man died after he accidentally drank from a jar of petrol and then smoked a cigarette.

Havelock police received an emergency call at about 9.50pm local time on Monday after 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire. Banning was transported to UNC Burn Centre in Chapel Hill, where he died early on Tuesday morning.

City spokesperson Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning was at a friend's apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of petrol sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the liquid out, but got some on his clothes.

A little while later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flames.

Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their investigation. - Sapa-AP

sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines