Girl traumatised after phone explodesComment on this story
Pretoria - A teenage girl from Wonderboom South was traumatised when her Blackberry cellphone exploded in her school bag on Tuesday.
Ina-Cherie Vermaak, 16, who attends a Christian school north of Pretoria, was walking to class after break when she heard a loud explosion, her mother told Pretoria News.
Her Blackberry cellphone’s battery had suddenly exploded. “Her classmates rushed to help her out of the cloud of white smoke. Everyone got a huge fright. She was incredibly shocked because it was a massive explosion,” her mother said.
The school had phoned her mother who took her distraught daughter to hospital for a check-up.
“I cannot believe something like this could happen, but I am so glad she’s okay,” her mother said said.
She branded the phone “dangerous” and said children should be warned that incidents like this one could happen. She said she did not know why the cellphone exploded.
“I am just so glad the battery didn’t burn her.
“It burnt a hole in her school uniform,” the mother said.
- Pretoria News