Las Vegas - Nevada's state attorney-general found nothing illegal or criminal in Manny Pacquiao's controversial split-decision loss to Timothy Bradley in a welterweight title fight last month in Las Vegas, according to a letter made public on Tuesday.
Interviews with the referee of the June 9 fight, two Nevada Gaming Control Board officials and state Athletic Commission Director Keith Kizer turned up no evidence of wrongdoing, state Attorney General Catherine Cortez Masto said in the letter to Top Rank chief executive Bob Arum.
Arum manages both fighters. He sought an inquiry on June 11, telling Masto he hoped it would “show the world that there were no improprieties”.
Arum didn't immediately respond on Tuesday to requests for comment.
“Displeasure with the subjective decisions of sporting officials is not a sufficient basis for this office to initiate a criminal investigation,” Masto's letter said. “There do not appear to be any facts or evidence to indicate that a criminal violation occurred.”
Masto aide Jennifer Lopez issued a statement calling the matter closed.
Bradley won 115-113 on two scorecards, while losing by the same margin on the third.
The decision was booed by the ringside crowd at the MGM Grand arena, drew a video review by the World Boxing Organisation, and resulted in a call by Pacquiao for a rematch.
A five-judge panel assembled by the WBO championship committee unanimously favoured the Filipino fighter in a review.
The WBO cannot overturn the result of the fight. - Sapa-AP