Cricket SA (CSA) says it has turned down an offer to play ODI and T20 matches against Bangladesh next month due to the unavailability of Proteas players and a loaded schedule.
“Unfortunately there are too many practical obstacles that prevent us from accepting this commitment,” acting CSA chief executive Jacques Faul said in a statement on Wednesday.
“At the moment most of our senior Proteas are spread around the world in England and India and those who are at home are undergoing rehabilitation from injuries picked up during the past season.
“We also have to bear in mind that the Proteas' Castle Lager squad has a hectic schedule ahead of it with very important tours to England and Australia with the ICC World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka sandwiched in between.”
Bangladesh, ranked ninth in the ICC ODI table, defeated India and Sri Lanka to reach the final of the Asia Cup tournament in Dhaka last month.
“We have always enjoyed our contests with Bangladesh and we look forward to playing them again in the future,” said Faul.
“They have been playing very good cricket of late, including reaching the final of the recent Asia Cup competition.”
Tony Irish, chief executive of the SA Cricketers' Association, said they had not been given enough notice to organise an overseas tour, with a number of the country's first-choice players tied up in English county and Indian Premier League contracts.
“Unfortunately this request has come through very late in the day by which stage most of the senior players had committed themselves to professional contracts abroad and it would be unfair to ask them to renege on them,” Irish said.
“The Proteas' team management and players have also put their plans in place in the build-up to their tour of England and it would be impossible to change them at this stage.
“It is going to be a very tough tour and we will need a fully fresh and fit squad for this engagement.”
South Africa face Zimbabwe in a five-match T20 series in Harare in June, and they embark on a 10-week tour of England in July. – Sapa