Warne faces another banComment on this story
Sydney - Australian veteran Shane Warne is facing a new ban for an alleged breach of the spirit of the game in a domestic Twenty20 match, Cricket Australia said on Thursday.
The bowling great apologised last week after a foul-mouthed rant against West Indian all-rounder Marlon Samuels that earned him a ban and a fine in Australia's Big Bash League.
But in Wednesday night's semi-final Warne, the official Melbourne Stars skipper, was not listed as captain for the match they lost against Perth Scorchers.
Cricket Australia said they had recently sent a memo to BBL teams about the captaincy role.
“If a team's official captain is selected but not named as captain, this will be considered against the spirit of cricket and may attract a code of behaviour charge,” CA said.
“Warne has been reported for breaching CA's code of behaviour,” it said.
The time and date of Warne's hearing was yet to be fixed.
The 43-year-old spinner, who was banned for one match and fined A$4 500 over the Samuels row, claimed 708 Test wickets in a celebrated career.
But he has also courted controversy, notably when he was fined for accepting money from a bookmaker and sent home from the 2003 World Cup for taking a banned diuretic. - Sapa-AFP