Jordan paralympic members in sex scandalComment on this story
London – King Abdullah of Jordan has taken a personal interest in the case of three members of the Jordanian Paralympic team facing sex charges in Britain, a court was told Wednesday.
An official of the Jordanian embassy in London told the court in Coleraine, in Northern Ireland, that sureties had been offered for the men to be freed on bail.
The intervention follows the arrest in the town of Antrim, north of Belfast, of three men Monday after two girls and two women made claims of indecent assault against the men.
The men, part of the Jordanian squad, are based at a training centre in Antrim ahead of the Paralympic Games in London next week.
Faisal Hammash, a trainer with the squad, was charged late Tuesday with two counts of causing a child to engage in sexual activity, the BBC reported from the court hearing.
Two wheelchair-bound power-lifters were also charged. Omar Qaradhi
was charged with three counts of sexual assault and one of voyeurism, of which at least two were against children, said the BBC.
Motaz Al-Junad, 45, also a power-lifter, faces one charge of sexual assault. The offences took place between August 16 and 20.Author: Anna Tomforde – Sapa-dpa