fast little loans
London – Security company G4S on Saturday apologised for not being able to provide the contracted amount of personnel to safeguard the London Olympics which start in less than a fortnight.
G4S said in a statement that it will lose up to £50 million pounds for not meeting the promised number of personnel.
“We are deeply disappointed that we have not been able to fully deliver against our contract with (organising committee) Locog and that it has been necessary to call upon the additional military personnel,” G4S chief executive Nick Buckles said.
“In partnership with the military and Locog, we are working flat out around the clock to resolve the situation. We are determined that together we will deliver a successful and secure Games. I would like to thank the members of the current security workforce who are already on the ground securing many of the Olympic sites across the country.”
The British government raised the number of military personnel by 3,500 to 17,000 to fill the ranks after G4S admitted to delays and difficulties in processing applicants on time.
The firm had been under contract to provide 10,000 guards, but was likely to fall by around 30 per cent short of its contractual obligations.
“We have recently encountered significant difficulties in processing applicants in sufficient numbers through the necessary training, vetting and accreditation procedures. As a result, we will be unable to deliver all of the necessary workforce numbers,” G4S said.
Downing Street warned Thursday that G4S, which has been paid £284 million for the contract, should “face the consequences for its failure to fulfil its contract.”
G4S said it expects to have lose “in the range of £35 million to £50 million” for failing to meet its obligations. Company officials will also have to appear before a parliamentary hearing.
The Olympic Games run from July 27 to August 12, and will be followed by the Paralympics from August 29 to September 9. – Sapa-dpa