Johannesburg - The SA Football Association (Safa) has cooled talks that Carlos Queiroz’s will be taking over the vacant Bafana Bafana coaching position after the 2014 Fifa World Cup.
Social media platforms Twitter and Facebook were abuzz on Thursday night after the Portuguese tactician confirmed that he would be leaving his role as Iran head coach to take up a position with an African team after the World Cup.
“My contract stops here. There was a period of ‘love’ in which Iran asked me to continue and they’re still showing that desire,” Queiroz told Portuguese newspaper, Publico.
“The dialogue is over and I’ve already decided not to stay.”
Queiroz was also quoted as saying he already knew where he would be heading, but could not reveal it, as the decision is yet to be finalised.
But on Friday, Safa refused to be drawn on an imminent appointment for the 61-year-old, former Real Madrid coach.
“I don’t even want to allude to that announcement is related to him coming to Bafana Bafana,” Safa’s head of communications, Dominic Chimhavi, said.
“As far as we are concerned Carlos belongs to Iran.”
Chimhavi added that Safa President Danny Jordaan had made it clear last month that Bafana’s new boss would only be announced after the conclusion of the World Cup, following “due processes”.