Melbourne – Local hope Bernard Tomic posted his ninth straight win of the year to cruise into the second round of the Australian Open on Tuesday, defeating injured Argentinian Leonardo Mayer.
Tomic recorded a routine 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 victory over the world number 72, who played with his right hand heavily strapped after being burned by a firecracker during the off-season.
Tomic, 20, said his ambition in 2013 was to reach the top 10
from his current ranking of number 43, having won his first ATP Tour title at the Sydney International this month.
“It's still a long way away and I need to stay focused, keep playing really good tennis,” he said.
Tomic remained on track for a possible third-round showdown with 17-times major champion Roger Federer.
“Everyone keeps asking me about playing against Roger,” Tomic said.
“I've got to win and he's got to win again and if we do, it will be an interesting match. But it's very difficult. Every player here can play.”
It was Tomic's first match at a Grand Slam since John McEnroe accused him of tanking against Andy Roddick at the US Open and he said criticism levelled at him last year had been a blessing in disguise.
“I took everything on board,” he said.
“It made me a better player and person.”
Tomic was expecting to play 27th-seeded Martin Klizan in round two but the Slovak was upset 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 by German qualifier Daniel Brands. – Sapa-AFP