Gauteng Gig Guide - August 1, 2014Comment on this story
• Classic Rock Project at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. R60. 8.30pm. Tel: 012 345 3602.
• Kenny Lattimore featuring Nokwazi, Miss Pru, Candy, Winnie Khumalo, Lady T, Berita, Mpumi and Nkiyase at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. VIP seated: R2 600 (R650 a person) for a table of four, seated: R450, standing: R350 at PnP tickets. Tel: 011 838 9145. And tomorrow.
• Black South Easter at Troyeville Hotel, 25 Bezuidenhout St, Troyeville. 8.30pm. R50. Tel: 011 402 7709.
• Countdown To Koppi party with The Dying Breed, The Fake Leather Blues Band and The Last Supper at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. 7pm. R50. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Music at Meet on Milner, cnr Long Ave and Milner St, Waterkloof. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 083 627 8172 or [email protected]
• Aaron Nel unplugged at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8pm. R40. Tel 012 345 3602.
• My Favourite Swings at The Lyric Theatre, Gold Reef City Casino, 14 Shaft St, Selby Ext 19, Joburg. The 17-piece Johannesburg Big Band, directed by Adam Howard, pays tribute to the greatest jazz and swing songs interspersed with contemporary tunes made popular by the stars who performed and composed them. 8pm. R130 to R180 at Computicket or the box office. Tel: 011 248 5168.
• Electric Circus with Belocca, Pimp Squad, Ryan Dent, Andi Dill, JustSmart, Rocca and Martini, Harael Salkow, Royal K and more at Truth, Old Pretoria Rd, Midrand. 9pm. R120 from Digitix. Tel: 011 315 9295.
• Black Cat Bones at Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. R90. 7pm. Tel: 011 728 3866 .
• Sprite Uncontainable Hip Hop Festival at Zone 6, Warehouse 28, Black Chain Centre, Diepkloof, Soweto. 4pm. Pre-sold: R80. Door: R100. Line-up includes Pharoahe Monch, Jean Grae, Vardz, Mr X, Zakes, Reason, Demolition Squad and more. E-mail: [email protected]
• Warm Up Jozi with Kid Fonque, Phat Jack, 2lani the Warrior and Brian Blaq at And, 36 Stiemens St, Braamfontein. R100 from www.webtickets.co.za, R150 at the door. 2pm. Tel: 011 447 7996.
• Suzanne Rentzke at Pierneef Theatre, cnr Mogg and Pierneef aves, Deerness. 7pm. R80. Tel: 012 329 0709.
• Sunday Unplugged Sessions: Albert Meintjes and Scicoustic and Bright Lights, Big City! at Tings an’ Times, Shop No 36, Waterglen Centre, cnr January Masilela (General Louis Botha) and Garsfontein rds, Waterglen. Free, but reservations essential. Tel: 012 993 0234.
• Family Day – Fun In The Sun with Jimmy Nevis, Jay and Liane May and Morgan Beatbox at Modderfontein Nature Reserve, Ardeer Rd, Modder-fontein. 11am. R200 from Nutickets. Tel: 079 519 1589.
• Sundays in the Living Room: Tropical Fiesta with Maoriginal and Babaganoush at The Living Room, 20 Kruger St, Maboneng. Noon. R50. Tel: 061 402 2843.
• Yamaha presentation at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Pretoria. 8pm. Free. Tel: 012 345 3602.
• The Orbit – Home of Jazz, 81 de Korte St, Braamfontein, hosts The Muffinz. 8.30pm. R150. Tel: 011 339 6645.
• Live music at Capeesh? Restaurant, corner of Middle and Fehrsen sts, Brooklyn. 7pm. Tel: 012 346 1932 or 087 151 4733.
• Johnny Walker Red Hot Jazz celebrates female jazz vocalists this Woman’s Month, starting with the South African- born Belgian resident, Tutu Puoane, known as the Nightingale of Antwerp. This Sama winning vocalist will perform alongside her partner in music and in life, Ewout Pierreux, on piano. Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. 9pm. Tel: 011 838 9145.
• Philip Moolman at Casa Toscana, 5 Darlington Rd, Lynnwood Manor, Pretoria East. 6.30pm. R300 (limited special price). Tel: 012 348 8820.
• Oppikoppi Odyssey at Northam farm, Northam. 9am. R700. Tel: 012 326 0560.
• Raw Acoustics at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. R40. 8.30pm. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Reggae at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. R100. Tel: 011 838 9145.
GIG OF THE WEEK
LION OF AFRICA MUSIC EXPRESSIONS
Featuring Zamajobe and Ndoh Dlamini
World of Yamaha, Sandton (Tonight)
TONIGHT will be a night to remember as two of South Africa’s most entertaining female jazz artists, Zamajobe and Ndoh Dlamini, will share a stage. They join forces at the World of Yamaha Theatre, (Pretoria Main Rd, Sandton) from 7pm.
For R150, you get to watch the two ladies show you that there is more to life than house music and hip hop.
Zamajobe has been in the game for a long time, yet earlier this year she earned nominations at the Sama and Metro FM ceremonies for Thula Mntwana, showing that she still has it. She recently performed with jazz musician Lee Ritenor at the Kuala Lumpur Jazz Festival. This led to her being featured on three songs on his Smokes ’n’ Mirrors album.
Dlamini is a renowned Afro-soul singer whose collaboration with American soul-rock singer Michael Bolton on a cover version of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell’s Ain’t Nothing Like the Real Thing will soon be heard on Bolton’s next album. When the ’90s slow rock maestro received a list of local musicians from Sony Music Africa, he picked Dlamini to work with. As we speak the song is being mixed in the US.
The Lion of Africa Music Expressions series is a number of shows that are sponsored by the corporate short-term insurance company, Lion of Africa, as
part of the company’s on-going commitment to shine a spotlight on the exceptional local music talent available in South Africa. – Munya Vomo