Gauteng Gig Guide - June 27, 2014Comment on this story
• 2SidesOfTheBeat: Just Mo, Kid Fonque and Kenzhero at Kitchener’s Carvery Bar, 5 De Beer St, Braamfontein. 7pm. R50. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
• UK DJ Chris Metcalfe with DJs Iain Wylder, Muzik and DJ Foxy at ESP, cnr 84 Oxford Rd and Eton St, Ferndale, Randburg. 9pm. R50 before 10pm, R100 thereafter. Tel: 078 601 1787.
• Half ‘n’ half, Fuzigish, Shortstraw, Just Me and David and Goliath at Town Hall, 66 Carr St, Newtown. 9pm. R60 before 10pm, R80 thereafter. Tel: 082 332 5772.
• Valiant Swart Band at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8pm. Admission TBA. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Claptone, Pimp Squad, Household Funk, Kyle Watson and Ryan Dent. Old Pretoria Rd, Midrand. 8.30pm. R120 at www.webtickets.co.za, R150 at the door. Tel: 011 315 9295.
• City Stompers at Capital Music Café, cnr Keyes ave and Tyrwhitt aves, Rosebank. R50. 8pm. Tel: 011 880 0033.
• Across the Bridge Sessions at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown Arts Precinct. A collaboration betweeb Freshlyground’s Zolani Mahola and The Black Cat Bones. R150 from PnP tickets. 9pm. Tel: 011 838 9145/6.
• Etapp Kyle at And, 36 Stiemens St, Braam-fontein. Support from Andi Dill, Sound Sensible, Fabio, Dogstarr and G-Force. 9pm. R100. Tel: 011 447 7996.
• Jack Parow and Frankie Fire at Firkin Pub, cnr Hendrik Verwoerd and Embankment drives, Centurion. 9pm. Tel: 012 663 4213.
• Dave Abbott at Gilroy’s, Ngwenya Glass Village, off Beyers Naude Drive and R114, Muldersdrift. 1pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 011 796 3020.
• Raoul and Black Friday at Café Barcelona, Shop 24, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8pm. Admission TBA. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Nova Rise, Kinky Robot, Gunslinger and Mrs B at Arcade Empire, 265 The Highway St, Equestria, Pretoria East. 7pm. R40. Tel: 087 980 3531.
• Mick Mathews Band (ex-Ballyhoo) at Radium Beer Hall, 282 Louis Botha Ave, Orange Grove. 9pm. R80. Tel: 011 728 3866 or 083 542 1044.
• Roadrunner Records Party at The Doors Nightclub, 19 Van Riebeeck Ave, Edenvale. Line-up includes DJs Brent, Craig, Disturbed and Sheldon. 8pm. R30. Tel: 011 453 7673.
• Science Frikshun seventh birthday at Town Hall, 66 Carr St, Newtown. Line-up: Icarus vs Rain, Damage Inc, Rudeone vs Reepa, Mr Green vs Ella G, Benson vs Mr Mon, Adamski vs Dublevision. 8pm. R150 at the door. Tel: 082 332 5772.
• The Beagle Music Sessions at Keg and Beagle, Linksfield Rd, Joburg. Line-up includes Trevor Rebello, Adventure Man and Shout Hey! and The Beard. 7pm. Free. Tel: 011 882 9553.
• City Stompers: Hippie Mafia, Itchy and Scratchy, Prefix and Obsessive Progressive at Capital Music Café, cnr Keyes and Tyrwhitt aves, Rosebank. R50. 8pm. Tel: 082 716 3490.
• Sunday Unplugged Sessions: Valiant Swart at Tings an’ Times, Waterglen Shop 36, Waterglen Centre, cnr January Masilela (General Louis Botha) and Garsfontein rds, Waterglen. Free. Reservations essential. Tel: 012 993 0234.
• Mike Rowe and Ko-Ko with Sez Adamson at (pedal steel/guitar, vocals), Saloon Route 66, Hartbeeshoek Rd, Hartbeespoort Dam. Tel 083 372 8118 or 083 261 2602.
• Park Acoustics: aKing, Mr Cat and the Jackal, Jamie MacDowell and Tom Thum from Australia, Laurie Levine and We Are Charlie at Fort Schanskop, The Voortrekker Monument, Eeufees Rd, Pretoria. 10am. R120 at the gate.
• Live music at Capeesh Restaurant, cnr Middle and Fehrsen sts , Brooklyn. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 012 346 1932 or 087 151 4733.
• Conrad Cronje and band at Firkin Pub, cnr Hendrik Verwoerd and Embankment drives, Centurion. 9pm. Tel: 012 663 4213.
• Karaoke with Lorenz Jooste. 9pm. Morula Casino and Hotel, Lethabong Tavern, Molefe Makinta Highway, Mabopane. Tel: 012 799 0000.
• Reggae with Jah-Seed and Admiral at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown Arts Precinct. R100. 9pm. R100. 011 838 9145/6.
• E-mail details, with “gig guide” as the subject, to email@example.com or munyaradzi.vomo@inl. co.za by Tuesday.
GIG OF THE WEEK
THE MARSHALL MUSIC FESTIVAL
Edenvale High School (Tomorrow)
IF YOU are a fan of live music your best bet this weekend will be the Marshall Music festival tomorrow. Held in Edenvale, the festival will host a number of big names in the music industry like Just Jinjer (pictured), Michael Lowman and The Kiffness, among others.
Starting at 11am, the event will run until 7pm and here’s hoping that by then you will have have watched all the acts on offer.
Other activities will include a battle of the bands and a battle of the DJs where you will see local unknown talent compete for your attention. If you like to make your own music, you might just be allowed to take part.
You can submit your demo online to (www.facebook.com/MarshallMusicFestival or www.plankton.mobi) and who knows, you might make the best four and be chosen to share the stage with some of South Africa’s hottest acts. To sweeten the experience, Oakfields College East Rand Campus is offering the winner a day in the studio to record up to two songs, including mixing and mastering, to the value of R3 000.
Just Jinjer will also offer aspiring musicians valuable tips on how to crack it in the cut-throat music industry.
Other offerings on site will include a beer garden, a kids’ area, a flea market, several competitions with cool prizes and a colour festival. R75 children under 12, free for under-6s, R150 for adults at the gate, online at www.facebook.com/MarshallMusicFestival or www.plankton.mobi. Edenvale High School, Linksfield Rd, Edenvale. Tel: 011 453 9014. – Munya Vomo