Gauteng Gig Guide - September 5, 2014Comment on this story
• Laurie Levine and Tebogo Sdumedi at Saartjie se Garage, 78 Second Ave, Melville. 7pm. R290 (includes a four- course meal). Tel: 081 733 9268 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Classique Cape Town parties at The Sands, 58 Wierda Rd, Wierda Valley, Sandton. Line-up: Roger the Dodger, Shaun Harry, Peter J and Duke. 8.30pm. R150 at the door. Tel: 083 267 0239.
• Sepultura pre-party at Zeplins Rock Shack, cnr John Vorster and Lenchen North aves, Centurion. 8pm. Admission TBA. E-mail: email@example.com
• Arno Carstens and Albert Frost at Café Barcelona, Elardus Park Shopping Centre, cnr Barnard Rd and Delmas St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 012 345 3602.
• Music at Meet on Milner, cnr Long Ave and Milner St, Waterkloof. 7pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 083 627 8172 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Bok Van Blerk at Firkin Pub, cnr Hendrik Verwoerd and Embankment drives, Centurion. Free. 9pm. Tel: 012 663 4213.
• Blk Jks, Lebo Mashile, Nova, The Word N Sound Collective and Nicole Daniella at Shikisa Bar, Miriam Makeba Street, Newtown. Tel: 073 036 9031.
• Divas In Democracy: Tania Maria (Braz), Nancy Vieira (Cape Verde), Isabella Novella (Moz) and Lulu Dikana (SA) at Joburg Theatre Complex, The Joburg Theatre, Loveday St, Braamfontein. 8pm. R250. Bookings: 011 877 6800. Sunday 4pm.
• Fall Out Boy (US), Jason Derulo, Jessie J, B.o.B, T-Pain and Panic! At The Disco in the I Heart Joburg Music Festival at Ellis Park, Currey St, Doornfontein. 11am. R520 to R1 185 at Computicket. Tel: 011 402 8644.
• Luna Paige at Saartjie Se Garage, 78 2nd Avenue , Melville. 7pm. R290. Tel: 081 733 9268.
• The Warm Up featuring Andre Lodeman, Phat Jack, 2lani the Warrior and Brian Blaq at Citilec Building, 246 Main St, Joburg CBD. 2pm. R150. Tel: 078 427 1777.
• Radio Raps at Firkin Pub, cnr Hendrik Verwoerd and Embankment drives, Centurion. 9pm. Admission TBA. Tel: 012 663 4213.
• Friday Beyond at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8pm. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Midget Submarine at Thymeless Tings, N14, Hugo Rd, Cradle of Humankind, Mogale City. R40 from 1pm. Tel: 084 586 8877.
• Spring For Spring: The Watermark High, Vox Portent, Plaat Japie and Yano$$ at The Living Room, 20 Kruger St, Maboneng. Noon. R50. Tel: 061 402 2843.
• Live music at Capeesh? Restaurant, cnr Middle and Fehrsen sts, Brooklyn. 7pm. Tel: 012 346 1932.
• Ivan van Der Merwe at Firkin Pub, cnr Hendrik Verwoerd and Embankment drives, Centurion. Free. 9pm. Tel: 012 663 4213.
• Lise Chris Band at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8pm. Tel 012 345 3602.
• Swazi Dlamini’s third album launch at Bassline, 10 Henry Nxumalo St, Newtown. R70 at the door. Doors open 7.30pm, music at 8.30pm. Tel: 011 838 9145.
• Van Coke Kartel and Feed The Wold at Café Barcelona, shop 24, Elardus Park Centre, cnr Delmas Rd and Barnard St, Elardus Park, Pretoria. 8pm. TBA. Tel 012 345 3602.
l To be featured, please e-mail all gig details, with “gig guide” as subject, to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday.
GIG OF THE WEEK
You know a year has passed when the Buskaid Concert comes comes up on the calendar. This year it takes place at the Linder Auditorium (27 Saint Andrews Road, Joburg) and you should expect the works of many amazing musicians.
Look out for renditions of works by the Spanish violinist and composer during the Romantic period, Pablo de Sarasate. They will be performed by Buskaid alumni and soloist, Kabelo Monnathebe and Simiso Radebe.
The pair are former recipients of full scholarships at the Royal Academy of Music in London which were organised by Buskaid so South Africans will see what the two have learnt over the years.
Tomorrow will be exactly 100 years and three weeks since composer Edward Elgar performed the magical Sospiri at the Queen’s Hall in London for the first time right before World War I.
Contemporary British composer Julian Grant arranged a series of dances written by the 18th-century former slave, writer, composer, and the first known black Englishman to vote, Ignatius Sancho, and donated Sancho’s Dance Suite to the Buskaid Ensemble so we will get to see
that on stage, too.
Khotso Langa, Cecelia Manyama, Kabelo Monnathebe, Simiso Radebe and Mzwandile Twala will shine in the Concerto in D minor for Two Violins composed by JS Bach.
The show starts at 7.30pm and tickets are available for between R110 and R200 at www.computicket.co.za.
– Munya Vomo