JOHANNESBURG - The SABC will not allow itself to be held to ransom by actors, the public broadcaster's COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng said on Friday.
“We are not going to be held (to) ransom. When there is (a) dispute with workers they still need to come to work,” he told journalists in Johannesburg.
Sixteen Generations soapy actors were fired this week after they went on strike.
The cast claimed that the broadcaster and the production company MMSV had failed to deliver on promises it made to them during their strike last year.
Motsoeneng said the public broadcaster could not allow “anarchy”.
“If you have issues at work you cannot say 'I'm not going to work'. This is anarchy which we cannot allow at the SABC.”
He had told the actors he understood their complaints but they should go to work as there were processes that needed to be followed to resolve their issues.
“We agree we need to treat actors with dignity because they are not just entertainers but workers.”
MMSV's Mfundi Vundla said the production company had a contract with the SABC and had to deliver.
“We have the responsibility to deliver episodes on time to live up to our contract.”
He said when actors withheld their services the producers had to act.
Some of the actors fired included Menzi Ngubane, who plays the character of ruthless businessman Sbusiso Dlomo, Nambitha Mpumlwana (Mawande), Patrick Shai (Patrick Tlaole), Sophie Ndaba (Queen Ndaba), Seputla Sebogodi (Kenneth Mashaba), Winnie Ntshaba (Khetiwe Buthelezi) and Katlego Danke (Dineo Dlomo). - Sapa