Johannesburg - Looking for some godforsaken corner of the Earth? A jungle? An Arctic wasteland? Or maybe you want to swop alligator wrestling for five-star pampering in Mauritius? Venture out to the Getaway Show. With more than 400 leading travel, outdoor and adventure brands, it’s your ultimate guide to getting out alive.
Prices: adults R70, pensioners/students R40, kids under 12 free.
Opening times: Friday, August 29, 11am-7pm; Saturday, August 30, 9am-7pm; Sunday, August 31: 9am-5pm. Visit www.getawayshow.co.za.
l Join The Star Travel Club or renew membership at The Getaway Show at The Dome over the weekend of August 29-31 and you might win one of the following prizes:
1. A four-night cruise for two, sharing, to Maputo and Portuguese Island aboard the MSC Opera with MSC Cruises worth R15 000. Contact MSC Cruises on 0860 11 44 11.
2. Bill Harrop’s “Original” Balloon Safaris offer a flight for two with a Champagne breakfast afterwards, total value R5 000. Call 011 705 3201 or visit www.balloon.co.za
3. Montusi Mountain Lodge offers two nights for two including breakfast and dinner, plus fly-fishing and hikes on the Montusi estate. Call 036 438 6243 or visit www.montusi.co.za.
4. Springbok Lodge offers a midweek two-night stay for two including three meals and two game drives a day. Call 036 637 9604 or visit www.thespringboklodge.co.za.
5. Ghost Mountain Inn offers two-nights’ accommodation and breakfast for two, and a full Terres d’Afrique body treatment each. Choose between a boat cruise on Lake Jozini, a Lebombo mountain scenic drive or an Mkhuze river bird walk. Worth R5 500. Call 035 573 1025 or visit www.ghostmountaininn.co.za.
6. Valley Lodge & Spa offers two nights for a couple sharing, with dinner, bed and breakfast in a superior room, rack rate value R9 000. Visit www.valleylodge.co.za; call 014 577 1301/5 or visit www.valleylodge.co.za.
7. Chestnut Country Lodge offers three nights for two, sharing The Chestnut Suite. This includes bed and breakfast, but not to be taken over long weekends and public holidays. Worth R4 980. Call 013 737 8195 or visit www.chestnutcountrylodge.co.za.
8. The Cavern Resort and Spa offers two nights for two, including three meals, morning and afternoon teas, plus daily guided morning hikes. Call 036 438 6270 or visit www.cavern.co.za.