"this web site" means http://www.iol.co.za
"the web site owner" and "we" means Independent On-line (Pty) Ltd
"user" means any person accessing any part of the web site
Status and Amendments
Collection of personal data
3. Where personal information (such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and credit card information) is submitted to the site by the user, for example through sending an e-mail or filling in required fields, the following principles are observed in the handling of that information:
4. Information collected about users through their use of this web site is the property of the web site owner.
5. The web site owner will retain all ownership of and copyright in any database of users' personal information.
6. No credit card information is retained or stored by the web site owner.
7. Note that, as permitted by the ECT Act, this web site may use personal information collected to compile profiles for statistical purposes and trade in these profiles. No information contained in the profiles or statistics will be able to be linked to any specific user.
Collection of anonymous data
8. In order to provide the best possible and most relevant service, this web site may use standard technology to collect information about the use of this site. This technology is not able to identify individual users but simply allows this web site to collect statistics.
9. This web site utilises cookies. A cookie is a small file that is placed on the user's hard drive in order to keep a record of a user's interaction with this web site.
10. If a user does not wish cookies to be employed to customize his or her interaction with this web site it is possible to alter the manner in which their browser handles cookies. Please note that, if this is done, certain services on this web site may not be available.
Access to personal data
11. Where a user believes that personal data concerning them held by the web site owner is outdated or incorrect they may request that such personal data be corrected - please use our contact page. Any request for such a correction must specify both the incorrect data and the proposed correction and must give full reasons for the request.
12. Users can request access to any relevant personal data held by the web site owner as laid out in the Promotion of Access to Information Act No 2 of 2000 (“PAIA”) and where such access is necessary for them to exercise and/or protect any of their rights. A copy of PAIA can be obtained here.
13. Detailed information on PROATIA and the procedure to follow in making a request for access to personal data is available in the web site owner’s Promotion of Access to Information Manual and from the website of the Human Rights Commission – www.hrc.org.za.
Links to other web sites
15. While reasonable measures are taken to ensure the security and integrity of information submitted to this site, this web site can not under any circumstances be held liable for any loss or other damage sustained by a user or users as a result of the intentional or accidental release of information by an employee of the web site owner or any third party.
16. Users and/or subscribers are prohibited from releasing their username and/or password to any other person.
17. We regard the safety and privacy of children using this web site extremely seriously but it remains the ultimate responsibility of the parents and other care-givers of children to ensure that they are not exposed to inappropriate content or behaviour.
Date of Last Review 15 January 2009
prepared by the electronic law consultancy.