Two men are in custody in connection with the murder of the 27-year-old Moloi, and appeared on Wednesday at the Protea Magistrate’s Court on three counts of rape, kidnapping and murder.
The case was postponed to May 29.
The ANCWL visited the victim’s family in Naledi, Soweto, yesterday to show their support and to appeal to the community to shun “with contempt” those who continue to wage their “vicious, hateful attacks” against gay and lesbian people.
Gauteng Social Development MEC Nandi Mayathula-Khoza led the ANCWL delegation as they sympathised with the family on their loss and pleaded with local residents to help stop attacks on women.
“As the Gauteng government, we have provided counselling and support to the family after what they experienced. No family should be put through that pain,” she said.
The Congress of South African Students also came to show their support, pleading with the community for women to be protected.
It asked that police in the area start working hard because a high number of murders - predominantly with women as victims - occurred in the area.
Magala Radebe, a neighbour of the Moloi family, praised how the community and ANCWL had been supporting the family throughout the ordeal.
Winnie Ngwenya from the ANCWL told The Star a march through Naledi had been proposed for Thursday, and asked that members of the community come to a planning meeting on Monday to start preparing.
“There have been a lot of women being brutally killed recently and it pains me... It is too much, now it has to come to an end,” Ngwenya said.
A group of community leaders together with the ANCWL marched to Naledi police station yesterday afternoon to help bring awareness of the plight of the LGBTQI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, questioning and intersex) community.
Moloi will be buried tomorrow.
The service will be held at the Naledi Community Hall at 9am and will conclude at 12.30pm at the Avalon Cemetery.