DURBAN - MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison, Mxolisi Kaunda has announced a shutdown of taxi operations in Ladysmith, Kwa-Zulu Natal.
Last week, the MEC held a high level security meeting in Ladysmith in order to address the surge in taxi violence in the area.
Kaunda said that the decision to call off operations was been informed by "several meetings and interventions".
On Wednesday afternoon, the decision to suspend all taxi operations in Ladysmith, Kwa-Zulu Natal was announced during a media breifing hosted by KZN Transport and Community Safety MEC, Mxolisi Kaunda.
A short while ago, Kaunda announced his decision to suspend all taxi operations in Ladysmith, citing increasing infighting between taxi associations and civilians caught in the crossfire.
Taxi operations in the area have been suspended for the next 6 months, effective from tomorrow. Operators found to be involved in the violence have been warned and stand to lose their operating licenses
Also read: Western Cape proposes number plate change
''I have decided to call off all operations or shut down operations by both Sizwe taxi association as well as Cape River taxi association. This decision has been taken with consultation of the provincial executive council which has supported it, Kaunda said.
His decision follows the deaths of 11 people following a taxi-violence related shootout last week. The MEC also visited the RTI Ladysmith offices where where 60 illegally operated taxis were impounded.
Kaunda said that the decision to shut down taxi operations in Ladysmith has well been welcomed by the provincial executive
This is a developing story
- BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE