CAPE TOWN – International Relations and Co-operation Minister Lindiwe Sisulu on Monday stated that the matter of land expropriation without compensation was not high on the agenda of her upcoming meeting with US counterpart Mike Pompeo.
Pompeo, an attorney who serves as the 70th US Secretary of State, was in August ordered by US President Donald Trump, via Twitter to look into South Africa’s planned land expropriation without compensation.
Sisulu said when addressing media at her department’s monthly briefing that the US understood that South Africa’s land reform process was a constitutional matter that would be adequately addressed.
“It is not a matter that will be a priority in our discussions. We have a great deal to talk about,” Sisulu was quoted as saying by SAnews.gov, adding that the matter had been raised in the first meeting between the two.
“They issued a statement indicating that the process outlined by ourselves is a constitutional process. It is a process within our laws and it will be handled properly, so there was no need for us to talk about that, but we agreed that for any (US companies) wanting to invest in South Africa, if there was any still lingering concern, we will make sure that we educate them,” the minister said.