Cape Town. 150203. Myciti buses leaving Cape Town depot out of Cape Town. Pic COURTNEY AFRICA

Johannesburg - Two MyCiTi buses have come under attack in Cape Town, the City said on Friday.

The first incident took place in Victoria Road at 8pm on Thursday when an object was thrown at a bus, mayoral committee councillor Brett Herron said in a statement.

“An unidentified person threw an object, which may have been a stone, at one of the bus's side windows. No injuries were recorded to the driver or the passengers.”

The second incident took place 30 minutes later on Roodebloem Street in Woodstock.

“An unknown man ignited something in the back of the bus after all of the passengers had alighted at the stop and then he too alighted from the bus and fled the scene,” said Herron.

“The bus driver hurt his hand when he broke a side window to extinguish the fire with a fire extinguisher.”

MyCiTi operations on the two routes were immediately suspended.

“The buses have been removed from active service due to some minor damage to the interior and side windows,” he said.

Herron said the attacks were linked to the strike by bus drivers.

On Monday, the South African Transport and Allied Workers' Union (Satawu) gave notice of a strike.

The bus drivers are employed by Transpeninsula Investments (TPI).

The dispute between TPI and Satawu revolves around organisational rights and the interpretation of clauses in their recognition agreement.

The matter was referred to the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration for resolution in October last year, but remains unresolved.

Herron said no other incidents were reported on Friday morning.

“Law enforcement officials are deployed along certain bus routes,” he said.

Sapa