CAPE TOWN – The International Data Corporation (IDC) released the latest research report focused on the worldwide Tablet market, which it said saw an 8.6 percent decline during the third quarter of 2018.
The report states that the market decline is due to global shipments that fell to 36.4 million.
Slate tablets accounted for the majority of the market with 31.6 million units, down 7.9 percent from the previous year.
Detachable tablets also declined, down 13.1 percent from the previous year, to account for 4.8 million unit shipments.
Lauren Guenveur, senior research analyst for IDC's Tablet team said in a statement: "The detachable market has failed to see growth in 2018, a worrying trend that has plagued the category off and on since the end of 2016."
Guener believes that the latest developments from companies such as Apple, Samsung and Microsoft could be a positive temporarily influence on the market.
"In October we finally saw the highly anticipated refreshes of Apple's iPad Pro and Microsoft's Surface Pro, as well as new products by Samsung and Google, which lead us to believe that the last quarter of the year will turn the detachable category around, at least for the time being. Increasingly sparse are new products by the top-tier PC OEMs as they remain more focused on their convertible portfolio, a move that will ultimately affect the overall trajectory of the detachable market going forward", said Guenveur.
Other factors highlighted in the research:
1. Apple came first, leading the tablet market with nearly double the shipments of its nearest competitor.
2. Samsung maintained its position as the second leading tablet manufacturer despite a year-on-year decline.
3. Amazon.com rose in position to become the third largest tablet manufacturer in the third quarter.
4. Huawei was the only company among the top 5 to deliver year-over-year (YoY) tablet shipments growth in the third quarter.
5. Lenovo rounded out the top 5 with 2.3 million units shipped in the third quarter, a decline of nearly 25% compared to a year ago.
|Company||Q3/18 Unit Shipments||Q3/18 Market Share||Q3/17 Unit Shipments||Q3/17 Market Share||Year-on-Year (YoY) Growth|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly PCD Tracker, November 2, 2018|
BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE