DURBAN - The Tap Tuck app is new tuck shop app that is revolutionising the way that a tuck shop operates.
The app's main focus is on cashless e-friendly payments and healthy meal options.
Leanne Pechey, the co-founder of the app, said: "A recipe book has been developed and given to tuck shop convenors to ensure that children are receiving healthy meals".
A tuck shop convenor is a person that runs the school tuckshop.
A pilot programme for the app was run at Virginia Prep School. According to Pechey, the pilot programme helped them iron out any problems as well as get feedback from parents. The app itself was launched late last year.
Pechey had partnered with Tim Strang, the founder of Spazapp, to get TapTuck off the ground.
Pechey who is also a mom said that the idea for the app was born out of personal need. She said that she would give her son money to buy something for himself at school but he would come home with chocolate wrappers instead of buying actual food.
According to Pechey TapTuck removes the need for children to carry money to the school and also helps the tuckshop convenor with planning, preparing and ensuring that every child is seen before the lunch break is over.
She said "Having the orders early allows the tuckshop convenor to be prepared for lunchtime".
The principal of Virginia Prep School, Wayne Barrister said he believes that children a well-fed child is more mentally and physically ready to take in all they need to learn on a day to day basis.
Barrister said, "When Leanne and her team approached our school to participate in a pilot project before launching the app nationally, it was a no-brainer that we had to get involved".
Now between 15-16 schools in Durban can make use of the app and parents can rest easy knowing that their kids are getting healthy meals. Peechey said that there are plans to roll out the app across the country.
So how does the app work?
1. Parents will download the app on the mobile phones.
2. They will then register their child or children as well as take a photograph of the child which will be used when redeeming your tuckbox.
3. The parent will then scan the QR-code on the attached TapTuck token to link it to your child's profile.
4. Deposit money into your TapTuck wallet using a credit card or make an EFT payment.
5. Follow the prompts to place your order.
6. The tuck shop convenor will then scan the QR-code on the TapTuck token to identify the child and redeem the meal.
The TapTuck app is available for both iOS and Android.
- BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE