CAPE TOWN - Land Rover is launching a new smartphone called the Land Rover Explore.
The vehicle manufacturer have partnered with the Bullitt Group , the makers of CAT smartphones to design a phone meant for people who live for adventure stated the companies.
The Explore will be on show at Mobile World Congress 2018, Barcelona, 26th February to 1st March 2018. Joe Sinclair, Director of Branded Goods and Licensing for Jaguar Land Rover said, "We are excited to be collaborating with Bullitt Group to create the smartphone that we’d all like to own. A perfect combination of design and functionality that embodies the Land Rover DNA and enables customers to be outdoors for longer, with the confidence to go further.”
The device features a IP68 water and dust resistance. The Explore can survive a drop of 1.8 metres with the help of its factory fitted screen protector. The handset can also be used while you’re wearing gloves or if your hands are wet.
- Huge battery (4000mAh) plus add-on Battery Packs
- IP68 Splash, Water and Dust resistance
- Drop-proof to 1.8 metres with factory fitted screen protector
- Premium grade, detailed off-road topographical mapping options from ViewRanger with Augmented Reality Skyline feature
- Customisable Outdoor Dashboard to access to the most important weather information, sensor data, and on-device tools for your activity: eg weather, wind, tides, compass, SOS light, etc
- Android™ ‘Nougat’, with scheduled upgrade to ‘Oreo’
- 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM, expandable via microSD™
- Deca-core 2.6GHz 64 bit MTK Helio X27 chipset with Dual SIM functionality
- 16 MP Rear camera, 8MP front camera, 4 x digital zoom
- Bright 5 inch FHD display, Corning ® Gorilla® Glass 5 protected, optimised for outdoor use
- Touchscreen can be controlled with gloves on or with wet fingers
- Night red filter mode reduces screen glare, preserving natural vision in low light and at night
- LTE Cat 6
- Curated apps and content catalogue relevant to outdoor pursuits
Additionally, with the device Land Rover is also offering buyers an Adventure Pack which includes a 3 600mAh battery, 25mm x 25mm ceramic GPS antenna, a protective case and a stainless steel carabiner.
“Building on our leadership in the rugged mobile market, we see the growing customer dissatisfaction with the fragility of their mobile phone and the poor battery life in particular, preventing them from using their mobile for key parts of their day to day life. The Land Rover Explore embodies everything we know to create a device perfectly suited to any outdoor activity, whilst retaining a sleek design, said Peter Stephens, CEO of Bullitt Group.
The handset will be available for pre-order in South Africa in April 2018. However, no pricing has been released.
- BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE