File image: IOL
File image: IOL
File image: IOL
File image: IOL
File image: IOL
File image: IOL
File image: IOL
File image: IOL
File image: IOL
File image: IOL

CAPE TOWN - Former South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) Chief Operating Officer (COO), Hlaudi Motsoeneng has been summoned to appear in court for the unlawful dismissal of the SABC 8 journalists. 

The court hearing, set to take place on 6 September 2017 follows a shocking no-show from Motsoeneng and his legal representatives on 15 August 2017. 

The axing of the 8 journalists comes after they allegedly spoke out about censorship last year. 

The political and social arena expressed great uproar concerning the unlawful dismissal of the eight journalists and demand that justice is served. 

Motsoeneng has successfully dodged the court bullet before but this is believed not to be the case this time.

“This time there is no out any more. Hlaudi has been delaying matters and has been dodging the court since March this year and for this reason it cannot be delayed any further", said Solidarity Communication Manager, Francois Redelinghuys after the judge ruled on 15 August that the cost order hearing will commence whether Motsoeneng is present or not. 

READ ALSO: Axed SABC journalists: The gloves are now off!

Motsoeneng's ban on the broadcasting of protest action fundamentally drove the firing of the eight journalists, says Redelinghuys. 

The damned Motsoeneng has been ordered by the court to incur the legal costs of the former axed journalists and he will be given the opportunity to persuade the court otherwise. 

“It is important that Motsoeneng be held liable for the cost in his personal capacity so the taxpayer does not have to foot the bill for the unlawful way in which ethical journalists had been dealt with", Redelinghuys declared.

#SABC at least 4 of the 8 suspended journalists have been fired 

READ:https://t.co/mhSSimcfFh pic.twitter.com/0ADM6WcSuf

— IOL News (@IOL) July 18, 2016

- BUSINESS REPORT ONLINE