Eight quotes, pics for Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu's 88th birthday
Cape Town - Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu celebrates his 88th today, October 7.
Aside from the Annual Desmond Tutu International Peace Lecture taking place on Monday evening at the Cape Town City Hall, Rivonia Trialist Denis Goldberg unveiled the Forgotten Liberators exhibition at the Old Granary on Sunday, as part of celebrations to mark Tutu's 88th birthday.
The exhibition, sub-titled Third World in World War II, presents a decolonised history of the Second World War, acknowledging the six million Jews who died in the holocaust as well as the 20 million others – including gay and lesbian people, gypsies, communists, Blacks and Third World conscripts – who lost their lives opposing the racism of Nazi Germany.
Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Mpilo Tutu, is a Nobel Peace Laureate, and played a key role player in the fight against apartheid in South Africa. He was also the first black South African Archbishop of Cape Town, South Africa and primate of the Anglican Church of South Africa.
In honour of Desmond Tutu's 88th birthday, we've compiled 8 pictures and quotes to celebrate the beloved icon:
1. “I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven . No, I'd say sorry. I mean, I'd much rather go to that other place."
2. "I never doubted that we were going to be free because, ultimately, I knew there was no way in which a lie could prevail over the truth, darkness over light, death over life."
3. “The universe can take quite a while to deliver. God is patient with us to become the God's children he wants us to be but you really can see him weeping.”
4. "Despite all of the ghastliness in the world, human beings are made for goodness," he once said.
5. "Peace without justice is impossibility."
6. "Differences are not intended to separate, to alienate. We are different precisely in order to realise our need of one another."
7. "Equality is essential to human life and well-being."
8. "Do your little bits of good where you are, its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world."
Bonus: "Nothing is too much trouble for love."